Saturday, March 28, 2009

March Moments 2009: March 28 - Memories from 1976

March 28 - Memories from 1976, Chapter 1
by Craig "Clav" Stephens


1976 - Troy, NY.

I "felt" it. Anyone that has ever had a horn to their lips knows what I mean. I realize I was only a 4th baritone at the time, but I "felt" it.

I don't think I was the only one as we walked off the field with a confidence / exuberance that permeated the whole corps.

I myself had blood down the front of my uniform and pouring out of my spit valve as my braces of that time had gotten the better of my inner lips.

As I walked to the bathroom to clean up I wore my blood as a badge of honor. For the first time I felt I had given all I had to give (hence the blood. :p).

Sidebar: Despite the torn lips I had felt like I played OUT (insert Tommy Swan voice there) and hit every note as well as I was able.

We won category after category, but somehow lost to Garfield by the slimmest of margins.

I went from the highest high to the lowest low that night.

I have the worst memory of anyone walking the face of the earth that has not be stricken by AZ, but I remember that night with ultimate clarity.




Comments or questions about our March Moments series? Click here to submit, or if that doesn't work, send them to joparente DOT saintsdrumcorps AT gmail DOT com.

No comments: