Sunday, March 15, 2009

March Moments 2009: March 15 - My First Time, Chapter 3

March 15 - My First Time, Chapter 3
by JoAnne Parente


It was the day of the FCBBBL (Fords-Clara Barton Boys Baseball League) start-of-season parade ... April 1968.


That morning, we attended Mass together - in uniform - at Our Lady of Peace Church. Pews were reserved for us, and I think we processed in together just before Mass started. Afterwards, we gathered on the steps of the grammar school just next door for our first group picture.

So many significant moments of my life have taken place in that church - four sacraments; 8th grade graduation; baptisms, weddings, and funerals for family and friends.

That blessed gathering of never-had-marched-before kids made what I'm writing today possible. Carrying my guide-on pole with its pennant flag that afternoon in our very first parade, I never could have imagined any of this.



Interested in submitting your own favorite memories for March Moments? Click here to submit, or if that doesn't work, send them to joparente DOT saintsdrumcorps AT gmail DOT com.

No comments: