Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March Moments 2009: March 11 - Fundraising, Chapter 1

March 11 - Fundraising, Chapter 1
by JoAnne Parente

(Editor's Note: There are LOTS of memories around fundraising. Help me out and send in some of your own).

Tag Day.

Those two words still send shivers down my spine.

After awhile I got used to it, and maybe even enjoyed a moment or two collecting spare change and the occasional "paper money" at the intersection of Route 1 and Avenel Street, location of the Avenel Firehouse.

Those white canisters, securely taped shut, were used over and over and over again. Most of us were honest about what we collected ... others, well, you know who you are.

Like many of you, I take pity on any and everyone out there collecting at intersections and Shop Rite entrance ways. I'll dig into my purse and add something to their canister, hoping I make their day as much as others used to do for me over thirty years ago.

Tagging. An experience I sure don't forget and am glad to leave behind.





Interested in submitting your own favorite memories for March Moments? Click here to submit, or if that doesn't work, send them to joparente DOT saintsdrumcorps AT gmail DOT com.

All for now - corpsdially yours from jo!

No comments: