Saturday, August 18, 2007

Music, et al

More often than not since www.saintsdrumcorps.com has been up and running, my drive time has been filled listening to the shows I downloaded from the site and burned to CD.

The technology du jour when we marched together means the bulk of our recorded memories are only available in print or audio (we've only been marginally successful in tracking down the few people who filmed some home movies over the years). While there's an occasional sound of rifle clackers or flags shwishing on old tapes and albums, what makes vivid memories possible after all these years are those of you who were in our horn and drum lines ... I can still recall guard work we did because I can still hear the music you made.

During my active Saints years, a soundtrack for my own musical tastes was burned into my being. The Latin rhythms from George Lopez, the ever-so-patient first musical notes pried from us by Sonny Cataneo, the explosive growth of talent nurtured by Bucky Swan and George Tuthill -- there's no doubt when you look at my ever-expanding musical collection that they all, as well as some significant others during my corps time, played a huge part in creating the sounds and cadences I still carry with me.

There's no adequate way to say THANK YOU after all this time ... know that I carry each of you in my heart and soul for being such a big part of my life.

All for now -- corpsdially yours from jo!

No comments: