Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Last Weekend

Wildwood Weekend ... the last full weekend I spent with the Saints back in 1976. I remember missing out on the normal Saturday night festivities because the semester had already started, and I had a pile of work that had to be done by the time I was back in class Monday morning.

I can recall with crystalline clarity many of the events of that weekend, but then, I had the priviledge of knowing that it would be my last spent with all of you before it happened. I had the chance to savor each experience, tuck it into my memory, and carry it with me as my journey continued away from my corps days.

On Tuesday, we remember the six year anniversary of the massacres that took place in Manhattan, the Pentagon, and ending in a field in Pennsylvania. The rhythm of the calendar this year means the dates fall as they did in 2001 ... meaning that this weekend is the last weekend any of us had before our world was shaken to its core.

There's at least one member of our Saints family who lost someone in their immediate family the Tuesday after that last weekend. Betty Dunn Hinkle, who marched in our horn line during the early years of the corps, lost her brother Patrick while he went about his normal duties at the Pentagon that Tuesday morning. Betty, this is the first chance I've had to tell you and your family how sorry I am for your loss, as well as to thank you for Patrick's service to our country ...

For those of you who haven't been in Fords for awhile, there's a street named after Commander Patrick Dunn not far from where the Turnpike crosses Main Street headed out to Woodbridge.

If you lost someone that day, know that my prayers are with you. If you would like your loved one included here in Saints Scribblings, please feel free to use the Comments feature just below, or let me know at
joparente.saintsdrumcorps@gmail.com.

PS - this year, September 11th also marks the 25th anniversary of the day we lost Jean French, our business manager and my favorite boss of all time. Priscilla, Francee, and Trish, you're in our thoughts as we remember what an important role both she and your dad held in making it possible for us to be part of the Saints ...


On a personal note, I'm remembering in a special way my friend Nancy Collins who, for the first time this year, is spending September 11th in heaven with her firefighter son Johnny, rather than with Marty and their children at the ceremonies in NYC ...

All for now -- corpsdially yours from jo!

No comments: