Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wednesday Wishful Thinking ... on the field again

Don't know how many of you check out the postings in Drum Corps Planet (DCP) -- about two weeks ago, "history was made" as the Anaheim Kingsmen took to the field again as an alumni corps. Here's a link to the pictures and story:
http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101040&st=0

What caught my attention is how much the current edition of Anaheim reminds me of when they came east and marched in our Music in Splendor evening show in July 1971 ... I can still picture myself standing at the chain link fence at Woodbridge HS, my jaw dropping as I watched their incredible color guard. They placed first that evening with an 84.something, two full points above Blue Rock and its Baby Elephant Walk (another favorite of mine).

Back then, Anaheim opened my eyes to what the Saints could indeed become. I really don't think I understood that we could grow to excellence before that moment.

Seeing them back on the field, I can't help but wonder what it would take (starting with the energy to get back in shape!) for us to be on the field again in our blue and gold cadet uniforms. No offense to those who marched in 1977, but orange and black just aren't me! It would be nice to just snap my fingers and make it happen ... not sure I have the stamina to actually do it!

Out in our Guest Book today (www.saintsdrumcorps.com), Goober had a simple question for all of us: "Hey Gang, enough parade corps talk. When's the next SAINTS get together?"

The first step was 6 weeks ago -- keep your eyes open for the next one as the summer progresses!

All for now -- corpsdially yours from jo!

No comments: