Saturday, February 14, 2009

Weekend Wonderings: Valentine's Day 2009

This post will be taking a twist you probably won't expect.

There are two people who have been part of my life who stand out when it comes to remembering me on Valentine's Day. I also shared a room with each of them, but only slept with one of them.

The first, hands-down,
has celebrated more Valentine's Days with me than anyone. The second was known for sending me very mushy cards on the holiday, signed either "Your Rochester Lover" or "Guess Who?"

The first? Karen. She and I shared a room for 17 years, and a bed for about 7 of them.

The other? Our dear uncle, Walter Kelly. The sharing-the-room thing happened during the two years I handled public relations for DCA. They had a policy back then that would only cover half the cost of a hotel room when traveling out of the area to go to shows. That was f
ine for the rest of the board, but as the only female, they refused to make what's now known as a politically-correct reasonable accommodation. Uncle Walter, ever the gentleman, came to my rescue and offered to share a room with me.

As you can imagine, it was quite the scandal - and I loved every minute of it. Richard, who I was dating at the time, even got a big kick out of it. I still have some of those cards from Walter tucked away in a special place, and treasure them along with my memories of that dear man.

On this holiday weekend, spend a bit of time with some good thoughts of those who were part of your life back in our Saints days. I send my love to all of you and those you hold dear.


All for now -
corpsdially yours from jo!

No comments: