Wednesday, October 31, 2007

All Hallow's Eve


Happy Halloween!

Just a bit of Church history for everyone ... did you know that today, Halloween, actually evolved from a triduum of feasts on the Catholic liturgical calendar? October 31st was marked as the Eve of those Hallowed, followed by All Saints Day (more on that tomorrow), and All Souls Day on November 2nd.

OK, history lesson over!

Given that I was VERY allergic to chocolate as a child, Halloween wasn't among my favorite holidays. As a matter of fact, the only vivid memories I have of the day were marching with all of you in the Carteret Halloween Parade, and going door to door in our uniforms afterwards (remember using our shakos to collect the candy?).

The boundaries between our corps and other lives really blurred for me during my high school and college years, and it's clear it was the same for most of you. If there's any doubt, here's some proof from Gallery 7, page 8 on www.saintsdrumcorps.com:


No comments: