Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Holidays 2009

I've been missing, I know -
Scribblings just a tad stale.
But I'm back, on this Wednesday
To share an old tale ...

It's time for what's become our own Saints Classic: Heard a Horn Before Christmas.

Enjoy!

jo

Saints: Heard a Horn Before Christmas
by JoAnne Parente

Heard a horn before Christmas, still asleep in our house.
Then my husband yawned, and puzzled, mumbled to me, “It’s Mouse.”

“Jo, get to the Annex, with no time to spare.
They’re letting us march again, and I know that you care.

“We have lots of horns, and drums with new heads
And flags, rifles, sabres, SO GET OUT OF BED!”

My only reaction was, “Mouse, is this crap?
If you woke me as a joke, I’ll give you a slap!”

“Jo, just listen to all of us making a clatter.
The cops are here now to find out what’s the matter.

“Your uniform’s here - don’t get into a crash -
The cadet blue and gold finished off with a sash.

“It’s not black and orange, you’ll be relieve to know
Since we left that stuff behind long, long ago.

“You really must hurry to see who are here
Saints one and all, our family so dear.

“There’s Rocky, and Bluto, and Mongo, and Pic,
And Peaches, and Pebbles, and Goober, and Mick.

“You realize, of course, there’s too many to name,
But we put the word out, and by hundreds they came.

“We’re playing and twirling and marching so tall
We’ll top all the captions, and walk away with it all.

“What’s slowing us down is the buses need fixin’
Jackie’s going to paint them – 50 gallons he’s mixin’.”

I shook my head slowly, trying to recall
When it was that we aged out, once and for all.

The pain in my head – thought I’d poked out my eye.
To march again at this age?
Should I give it a try?

Got down to the Annex after drinking a few
Cups of tea, of course (what, did you think I meant brew?).

Folks were outside, and inside, and up on the roof
Rifles holding their mouths ‘cause each knocked out a tooth!

Each face looked so young, an image to astound.
Was I the only one here who’s age didn’t turn around?

Wait a minute now! The trick must be in the boot!
So I struggled and struggled to stick in my foot.

Someone inside the hall yelled, “Everyone, back!
It’s time to stop practicing – we all have to pack.

“The buses aren’t dry, so we’re taking a ferry.”
I said, “Going on tour – isn’t that a bit scary?”

“Of course it makes sense, Jo, everyone knows
It’s the best way to travel when going to shows.”

My boots didn’t fit, my brain was like jelly
The jacket and skirt didn’t cover my belly.

What gives? All the rest were their same old self
As they each grabbed their shakos from up on the shelf.

Wait! Who was that there, just a bit up ahead?
“Uncle Walter, is that you?
I thought you were dead!”

He stood with the drum line, his life’s love and work.
“Watch what you’re saying – they’ll think you’re a jerk!”

“I’m here to help Bucky, George Lopez, and Rose,
And Ralph, Tony, Frank, and ...”
Then, I just froze.

What a dream I was having, what a wish I was making.
The time of my life was just there for the taking.

I awoke Christmas Eve, just a bit after seven.
My dream was a gift that came straight from heaven.

We still have great photos and memories too
And we talk with each other ‘til our faces turn blue.

Still, what can I get you, with Christmas tomorrow?
Lots of love, luck, happiness, and no trace of sorrow!

May your gifts include health, wealth, and absence of strife
As the New Year unfolds – wishing you a great life!

Annex gathering, September 2007

With love to you all – corpsdially yours from jo!

2 comments:

SunDM said...

VERY Cool Jo!!

Thank you!

A very Merry Christmas to ALL!

Anonymous said...

That was great Jo. I really could visualize the events in your poem. Now dash away, dash away all. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Bea Gustafson